Wednesday, February 19, 2020

I HATE Going to the Eye Doctor

I know that a lot of people hate going to the dentist or even the doctor.  That is not the case for me.  The yearly appointment that I dread more than any other is the eye doctor.  I am not scared of the optometrist and appreciate the help I have received over the years in improving my eyesight.  My loathing of that particular doctor revolves solely around having my eyes dilated.  I have always struggled with this procedure, but in the last few  years it has gotten worse.  The distortion to my vision instantly makes me nauseous.  In general that is followed up by a headache and light-headedness.  Therefore, I spend the rest of the day in bed or resting with the hope that the malady will end soon.

Unfortunately, today was one of the worst experiences I have had with dilation of the eyes.  It was compounded by the fact that I was sent to the wrong optometrist's room upon having my eyes dilated and spent an extra hour waiting to have my eye exam.  I didn't think I'd be able to make it as I felt completely awful, but once I found out that my eyesight had changed drastically I knew that I should try.  The bad news was that it took two hours to complete the exam because of the receptionist's error.  The good news was that my eyesight had actually greatly improved.  I was very glad to hear that and extremely appreciative of my Mom for coming with me.  I could not see well enough to drive home even with sunglasses on to block out the bright lights.

I spend the rest of the day taking it easy, but it didn't seem to help much.  I was able to pick Cameron up, but by the time Doug got home from work I was a wreck.  I felt miserable and nothing much helped.  I tried Tylenol, Ibuprofen and lying down, but I just felt awful.  Doug said that he had expected as much and was glad to pitch in for the rest of the night.  I was so thankful that he wasn't busy this evening.  He had time to make dinner, pick up our prescriptions and even run to the grocery store to get me some ice cream.  We spent the rest of the night with Cameron in front of the television watching IU defeat Minnesota.  My eyes were better, but they still weren't able to completely focus.  Therefore, I couldn't tell the numbers of the IU players.  I was glad to have Cameron around to keep me abreast of the happenings.  IU had not won a rode game in quite some time and their victory at least brought a little happiness into a very frustrating day.

No comments:

Post a Comment