Tuesday, October 1, 2019

EEE Virus

Several weeks ago we received an email from Bethany stating that the Eastern Equine Encephalitis virus was found in several horses in Elkhart County.  The EEE virus had been spread through infected mosquitos.  Although no humans were infected yet, concern was high as deaths had already been reported in Michigan.  I was impressed that Bethany took the news seriously.  Students were required to wear bug spray at all sporting events.  They had stressed it so much at school that Cam didn't need reminders from us to be diligent about putting it on anytime that he had to be outside.  That included at school and all events that we attended as a family.

I was relieved that Cameron had no problems following the rules, but noticed that he had also enjoyed making fun of me for my new obsession of staying away from mosquitos.  I was sure that I had found a bite the other day.  Cam looked at my arm and said, "Mom, I don't even see anything."  He was right.  This morning I was positive that there was a mosquito in the van on the way to school.  Cam laughed and quickly pointed out that 1) it wasn't a mosquito and 2) it was on the outside of the windshield.  It was then that he also told me that only 4% of mosquitos even carry the EEE virus.  I knew that he was correct, but I still planned on sending a full bottle of Deep Woods Off with him for tomorrow night's tennis match.

No comments:

Post a Comment