Monday, October 28, 2019

Two Rooms for One

For the past year or so I have wanted to paint and reorganize Cam's sanctuary.  I had suggested several times that he move into the second bedroom so that he would have more room, but he was never interested.  He liked the room that he had had for the past seven years and I decided to come up with a different plan.  I would move the majority of Cam's keepsakes, books and furniture into the second bedroom and leave his bed, dresser, television, clothes and most prized possessions in his smaller room.  Cam agreed to this idea with the thought that I would get everything organized by the weekend of November 9th so that Doug could easily paint it.

Since it was a rare weekend at home for us and the forecast was miserable, I asked Doug if we could move up our plan and work on Cam's bedroom while watching football.  He thought it was a good idea and Friday night we let Cam pick out the colors for his new room.  I was not surprised with his choice of orange and blue, but others probably were.  Those have been his two favorite colors for as long as I could remember.

Doug started Saturday morning and quickly got the first coat on the orange walls.  It actually looked better than I thought it would.  We had tried the color in the downstairs bathroom last fall and didn't like it there, but it was the perfect fit for Cameron.  The blue took a lot more work as it did not cover as well.  Doug wasn't able to finish it until Sunday.

While Doug painted, I worked on reorganizing Cam's possessions.  He helped sort through what he wanted and what he wanted to purge.  He had a lot of keepsake items from his siblings and his grandparents.  It was fun looking though everything and finally having room to display and store it all.  By the end we did have two boxes for a garage sale and one large bag of trash to take out of the rooms.

We didn't quite finish everything over the weekend, but I was able to get both rooms back in order today, paint the trees and take him chair shopping.  It took longer than we thought it would, but we finally found the perfect hammock chair to finish our redecorating project.  It was more work than I thought it would be, but definitely worth it in the end.  Both rooms looked fantastic and gave Cam the space he needed.












No comments:

Post a Comment