Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Valentine's Day #28

Today Doug and I celebrated our twenty-eighth Valentine's Day together.  Doug surprised me with a dozen roses and chocolates from Olympia.  Both of which I appreciated greatly.  We had decided earlier in the week that we would stay in this year and have dinner at home with Meg and Cam.  They both enjoyed the macaroni and cheese that Doug made and the gifts that I gave them (a faith necklace and The Help for Meg and a Google Home Mini for Cam.)  Doug was happy to find out that he would now have his own Google Home Mini as well.

Although I loved Doug's thoughtfulness this year and every year on Valentine's Day, we have been married long enough for me to realize that love isn't about one day.  Years ago Doug was scheduled to be gone on a business trip on February 14th.  I remember being extremely disappointed that he would not be at home to celebrate with me.  Fortunately, his trip was cancelled that year, but after that I realized that it wasn't about a holiday.  Love was so much more than that.  It was about trust, patience, building a life together, and all that it takes to raise a wonderful family.  So whether it's Valentine's Day or not I appreciate Doug everyday and the life that we share.

No comments:

Post a Comment