Friday, February 9, 2018

Virtual Learning Day for All

All week the weathermen had been forecasting a massive winter storm for today.  Their predictions did not completely come to fruition, as the amount of snow in our area wasn't quite as high as originally thought.  With that said, South Bend did set a record high for snow on this date with 8.8 inches in total and over 80 schools and businesses closed for today.

We knew last night that Bethany would not have school.  The announcement came through close to 9 p.m.  None of us were surprised as several large school corporations in their area had cancelled earlier in the evening.  Wawasee called a delay around the same time.  I was concerned when I went to bed that we would actually have school.  WSBT had changed their prediction for the path of the storm and we were no longer in the heaviest snow amounts as of 10 p.m.

Thankfully, when I woke up my school district had already closed.  I had written sub plans last night just in case they didn't.  I wasn't up for driving in any amounts of snow and did not want to leave Cam and Meg home alone during a storm as I was afraid of our home losing power or getting stranded somewhere.  I talked to Doug around 8:00 a.m.  He was able to make it to basketball this morning.  The regulars decided last night that they were playing no matter what.  He said there were 8 diehards that showed up.  He was happy about that.  Several RV companies in Elkhart and Goshen had closed for the day, but Renegade and Midwest did not.  Doug said that the roads were about normal for a snowstorm with heavier amounts of snow closer to Elkhart.  His trip took about an extra fifteen minutes.

Cam, Meg and I got started on our virtual learning day at 9 a.m.  I had put my plans on our elearning website last night and their teachers had instructed students to take all they would need for their day of learning at home.  It was a quiet day as we all had plenty to work on.  The snow picked up during the morning.  Doug's company sent everyone home at noon and when he got home he could barely tell where he shoved earlier in the day.  He spent the day working alongside the rest of us.

We all finished what we needed to by dinner time.  Doug made Meg's new favorite, lasagna, while I caught up on laundry.  After dinner we sat down for a family game night.  Cam and I had played Pay Day earlier and Meg had talked him into Just Dance as well.  Tonight we were able to get in several rounds of Scattegories and Five Second Rule.  It was a fun way to end a new type of snow day.

No comments:

Post a Comment