Friday, September 6, 2024

My "Favorite"

Meg is always giving me a hard time that Cal is my favorite. I think that’s really funny, because I know that I don’t have any favorites. She has said it so much now that Cal tells everybody that he’s the favorite too. 

I do have to say that Cal is the one child of mine that when he calls, I stop what I’m doing, answer the phone, and talk to him for as long as he wants. It isn’t because he’s the favorite as Meg claims. It is actual because he doesn’t call as often as the other three do. I love talking to all of them, but I hear from Cameron and Meg almost daily. Brett calls at least three times a week. Cal texts a lot, but he doesn’t call as much, maybe once a week.  Thus, it’s a bigger deal when he calls, which is why I always make sure that I am available.

Tonight, Cal called on his way back from work. He had gone to the Beef House this week while working at a bank.  Both he and Doug had visited the famed restaurant before on various accounting jobs and had really enjoyed their meals.  Cal told me about his dinner, the staff person that he had to take with him to work, what Maggie was up to, and how he was feeling about the golf tournament that he was playing in this weekend with Grandpa. We also caught up on the different movies that we had seen lately and the ones that were coming out. We decided that our favorite series on television of all time was Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul. It was fun listening to him talk while he drove on the back roads of Indiana to Grandma’s.

When Cal hung up I thought about the last year of Jeannette’s life. Brett would call her every week while he was in college. I knew that she loved that  and after she died, Rowene told me that Jeannette would stop whatever she was doing when Brett called to talk to him. Just like me, she didn’t have favorites, but instead wanted to take full advantage of her time with him.  I understand that feeling so much better now that all of my children have left home. I know that I am incredibly blessed to still be such an important part of their lives even though they are miles away.

No comments:

Post a Comment