Tuesday, December 19, 2023

Bad News

I went to the doctor today to review my blood test results with her.  The good news was that for the first time in a long time, I was not anemic and my Vitamin D level was normal.  I was happy about that, but concerned about the rest of my results.  My cholesterol level was double what it was two years ago and my blood pressure was extremely high.  The doctor then gave me the bad news - I would have to start on a cholesterol medication and start taking Hydrochlorothiazide for my blood pressure again.  I had taken it after I had Cameron as I had blood pressure issues then as well.  I would also have to change to a Mediterranean diet for my cholesterol.

I was completely bummed out when I left the doctor's office.  I had spent so much time worrying about Doug's health the past two years, I hadn't really thought about mine.  I had also spent a lot of that time period following Weight Watchers and exercising daily.  I couldn't believe how bad my cholesterol was in such a short period of time.  

After beating myself up all afternoon, I finally remembered what Dr. Mulry had told me after I overcame thyroid, blood pressure and edema issues when Cameron was born.  He said that I wouldn't have to worry about any of those health problems again until I went through menopause.  I did some quick research and found out almost instantly that he was correct as usual.  The articles all stated that a majority of women developed cholesterol problems the year after menopause.  That information along with the fact that I had a family history of high cholesterol made me feel a lot better.  Diet and exercise had always been a big part of my life, now it will just be adding in medication.  Anything to live a healthier and longer life will be completely worth it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment