Thursday, February 10, 2022

The Winter Olympics

The Winter Olympics began on Friday February 4th with the opening ceremony.  I was excited when I realized that I would have something fun to watch while Doug was busy with work.  We had added Peacock Premium to our streaming line up, so I knew that I would be able to watch as much of the Olympics as we wanted.  To get in the mood I even listened to “The Miracle” Rewatchable about the 1980 gold medal winning US hockey team.  


All of my preOlympic excitement preparation just didn’t seem to work.  Ever since the sporting events began I have tried very hard to watch the Olympics this winter, but I just can’t get into it.  I really don’t know why.  I like speed skating and bobsledding, but watching them has actually been kind of boring.  Maybe it’s because I really don’t know any of the athletes or maybe it’s because no one else in our family has been that interested in the Olympics either. It could also be because Apple News sends out updates throughout the day, so typically I know who has won before the event has been televised.   I was happy to read that Nathan Chen won gold in the men’s figure skating championship.  I remembered that he had underperformed four years ago, but even that didn’t get me to turn the channel to NBC. 


Instead of the Olympics, I have actually been enjoying the gameshow network.  Cameron and I have turned on “America Says” and “The Family Feud” each night before bedtime.  We’ve tried to guess answers to questions like “What makes a good bath great?”  (Rubber Ducky) and have laughed at the contestants answers to “What makes Colonel Sanders sexy?”  (His Horse??). I guess for now, I’ll stop feeling guilty about ignoring The Winter Olympics.  There’s no rule that says that I have to watch.  It just feels strange.   

No comments:

Post a Comment