Wednesday, February 9, 2022

Slipping on the Ice was the Icing on the Cake

Over the past two days I have spent quite a bit of time in the afternoon trying to get the rest of the snow off of our driveway.  When Cameron and I shoveled during the winter storm, we decided that we would only clear the drive directly behind the garage.  No one would need the side area to park or to play basketball any time soon, so we didn't waste time on that.  Instead we piled even more snow on top of that side of the driveway trying to keep the main area clear.  Since it had warmed up into the mid 30s the past two days, I decided that I would try to get some of the snow off of the basketball court.  Meg, Cal and Brett both had plans to come home soon, so I wanted them to have somewhere to park.  It was a lot of work, but I did manage to clear about 2/3 of it.

Both days while I was out working, Meg called.  Thankfully, I was able to put in my Airpods and talk to her while still shoveling.  Yesterday we talked about her birthday gift for Brett, her upcoming Valentine's Day plans with Nick and the "I Love Snoopy" Show.  Today's topics weren't quite as light hearted.  When Meg first called, she was really upset.  She had had a rough morning with school and to top it off she slipped on the ice while trying to catch the bus.  Unfortunately, it was a hard fall resulting in a lot of pain.  I felt bad for her and realized that there wasn't much that I could say to make her day better, except "I'm sorry."  She told me later that she did cry for a little while and then decided to stop feeling sorry for herself.  I was glad to hear that she was feeling a little better, but I didn't blame her for being down.  Sometimes days just don't go your way.  Usually it takes a good night's sleep for me to get over that feeling, but thankfully Meg had to work tonight and being with the residents of Bell Trace returned a smile to her face.  

No comments:

Post a Comment