Friday, June 21, 2019

Game of Thrones

Brett and Cal had asked me several times this spring to watch Game of Thrones.  Brett started it later than Cal, but enjoyed it just as much.  The series ended in May and it was all they could talk about.  Doug didn't have an interest in watching that long of a series, but agreed to subscribing to HBO Now so I could try it.  From the very first episode I was hooked.  The violence and sexual content were a little too much for me, but the storyline was fascinating.  I finished the first two seasons before Cal left for his internship and after that watched it whenever I had a chance.  It was harder to do once school got out.  It wasn't a show that I could have on when Cam was around and Meg didn't want anything to do with it.

During the month of June I slowly, but surely, finished season after season.  Each one was better than the last.  Characters that I loved died.  Characters that I hated died.  New characters were introduced.  Some stayed until the end; others only made it an episode or two.  During the sixth season I started texting Cal and Brett daily with my predictions for the next show or my thoughts on the current one I was watching.  Brett struggled to respond as he was always sure that he would divulge too much information.  Cal would just encourage me to "keep watching."

There were a lot of complaints from viewers about season eight and how the series ended.  I finished the final episode today and couldn't disagree more.  I absolutely loved the last season.  I was sad that several of my favorites didn't make it to the end, but that was to be expected.  I would have chosen a different king, but couldn't disagree with the writers' decision.  Overall, I enjoyed Game of Thrones much more than I would have ever expected.  I'm incredibly glad that the boys talked me into trying it.

No comments:

Post a Comment