Saturday, June 15, 2019

Budgeting

Last winter Doug and I had decided to start using a budget for our expenses.  It had been several years since we had had to follow one, but with all of the extra costs this past year we thought it would be a good idea.  We spent quite a bit of time working on it today and we both felt good about where we are at and where we are heading.  The biggest items that we have cut down on have been eating out.  That includes fast food.  I really don't miss it, like I thought I would.  The hardest part is the grocery store. We have to go more often to get what we want as I don't stock up like I used did before.  In the past I would have just gotten what looked good at the time, but now I put more thought in our purchases.

Meg struggled at first when we started giving her an allowance and let her control how she spent it.  Much like me, she hadn't worried about it too much in the past.  She has done well adjusting, however, and does think a lot more now about what she buys.  Brett started budgeting his weekly expenses when he started grad school.  With the new responsibilities of apartment costs, he has had to expand his accounting skills.  He was glad to see that he not only has plenty for the costs of living on his, but he can also increase his weekly expenses.  He should still be able to put some away as well.   Bell Trace added ten extra hours to his workload this week which will help in that regard.  Cam takes after Cal in that he really doesn't spend much money and always seems to have enough when he needs it.  I talked to Cam about doing an allowance with him when school starts.  We'll see if he even needs it.  Except for rent I haven't had to give Cal a lot for expenses this past year.  Budgeting has not been my favorite activity this Spring, but I do know that it's important.  Our lives have been so much better since I quit teaching and I definitely don't want to change that by overspending.  The money just wouldn't be worth the stress that my job put on our family.

No comments:

Post a Comment