Wednesday, September 23, 2026

Hanging Out with My Mom

My mom told me through tears this morning that she was very sad that I was leaving tomorrow.  I felt bad but knew that I couldn't stay.  I had commitments with my own family and would need to head out tomorrow as planned.  I did remind her that she hears from me almost every day and that when I am here, we get to spend way more time together than if I lived in town.  I also added Hoosier to her collection so she remembered that we were always thinking of her.

I did get to spend a lot of time with my mom today. I not only took her along with me to Newcomer's Jewelry in Nappanee, but I also asked her to show me where we lived on Elm Street when I was first born and where her house was when she was growing up.  I really enjoyed the trip down memory lane.  I would have never found our old house.  I was sure that it was in a different location.  Now I will never forget.  I probably would have been able to pick out her childhood home, or at least the area, but I appreciated hearing her talk about her memories from that time period and learning that Aunt Dolly lived just down the street from her family.

Distance can be tough, but I believe that I have navigated it the best that I can.  Doug and I always had plans to move south when our children graduated.  I didn't realize that it would be the day Cameron left for college but knew that it would be sometime within that year.  I miss my family in the Midwest but do enjoy our life in Ocala.  Thankfully, the phone call, texts and frequent travel make it a lot easier.   





No comments:

Post a Comment