When I was living in Indiana, I loved to feed the birds. With the woods behind us and a big Maple tree in the front yard, we attracted hundreds of birds each week. I not only fed sparrows, but gold finches, hummingbirds, cardinals and even orioles. Out of all of the feeders that I set up in our yard, and there were many, my favorite was my peanut feeder. I loved watching all of the blue jays flock around it when ever I filled it with peanuts. They would fly up into our front tree and start cracking the shells with their beaks hitting the peanuts repeatedly against the branches. When I couldn't see the blue jays through the leaves, I could hear them working on the shells. The peanuts rarely lasted an hour or so before they were gone.
Unfortunately, I haven't had any luck here feeding the birds and I am not sure why. I researched what would be native to our area and set up several different kinds of feeders to accommodate those birds, but none ever came to our backyard. I didn't know if the huge black crows that were hanging out in the oak tree across the street scared them off or if the birds in Florida had plenty of food and didn't need feeders. Either way, my bird feeding days were over, and it was one of the few things that I missed about our home in Syracuse.
Recently, Doug and I decided to give it one more try. I set up the pole, filled up a regular birdfeeder and the one for peanuts, but nothing happened. I waited a month and never saw one bird in our backyard. I finally gave up. Instead of being sad about losing all of my birds, I decided to try something else on my shepherd's hook. I found a beautiful solar lighted hummingbird windchime on Amazon to hang in our backyard and decided that would be the best way to remember my fun days of being "the crazy bird lady" in our family.
No comments:
Post a Comment