When Doug visited with his dad a couple of weeks ago, he mentioned to him that he may have to retire earlier than planned because of his Parkinson’s diagnosis. His dad asked if Doug was still able to stay with Meg a few days a week and if overall, he was feeling healthy. Carl was relieved to hear yes to both of those questions. At the end of the conversation, Doug talked to his dad about taking some of his inheritance early, so we could pay off the Pilot and our house in the next couple of years. That would really help Doug's new retirement plan. Since the Pilot had a larger interest rate on its loan as compared to our mortgage, Doug asked about help with that first. I was a little surprised to hear that Doug‘s dad was very receptive to it. In the past this topic had led to hurt feelings. I was glad that they were able to talk about it rationally and that Doug’s dad was prioritizing Doug’s health.
Even though Carl had told Doug that he was going to help, I was still a little surprised today when the wire transfer came through. I know that Carl worries about his own long-term health expenses and wasn’t sure if he would be able to come up with the funds needed to help Doug. Needless to say, I was incredibly happy for Doug. He’s a dedicate employee and bread winner for our family. Although I know he likes working for now, this money lowers Doug's stress levels tremendously as he starts planning his retirement.
Today, I paid a good portion of the Pilot's loan and re-organized our budget with the knowledge that Carl has offered another payment in January to finish the loan. I do not take any of this lightly. Doug and I have worked very hard to help our own children start their life debt free. I feel blessed to now receive some help for Doug and I.
No comments:
Post a Comment