We have had more rain in the past week, then I think we have had all summer. I am not sure if it is from the tropical storms moving in or just normal August in Florida. Whatever it is, it’s definitely been unbelievable. Today, we had to have the rainstorm to beat all rainstorms. Doug was driving home and I was going to run out and get something for dinner when the rain started. I called him and said that I would wait until a little bit later, but the rain never let up for the next two hours. Fortunately, Doug did not have to drive in it. Once he got home, he could understand why I said that it was one of the worst storms that I had ever seen.
At first, I really just thought it was the lightning and thunder that was the problem. It was so loud it felt like it shook the house. Our internet and electricity went down for a while but fortunately came back on relatively soon. Just before Doug arrived, I walked outside to see if it had let up at all. I was glad to see that it was just sprinkling but was absolutely shocked when I looked into the ravine at the side of my house. It was completely full of water and flowing like a creek. In the four years that we have owned this house, we have never had water in our yard, let alone a river of it. I was nervous at first that it would cause damage, but thankfully, within an hour it had subsided. It left behind some of the most interesting marks I had ever seen after a storm. It almost looked like aliens had landed and made a path through our yard.
Thankfully, that was not the case, and by the time we finished dinner, I felt a lot better about the situation. I checked the rain gauge before we went to bed. It held 7 inches of rain. That was by far the most rain that we have ever gotten in a two-hour period of time. Hopefully, tomorrow everything will dry out, but if we not, at least my plants and grass are enjoying this very soggy August.
No comments:
Post a Comment