Tuesday, August 4, 2026

Will they or won’t they?

For the past six months, Brett and Karen have talked about possibly moving to Florida next year. Sometimes they seem all gung-ho about it ready to leave the state of Indiana and other times they’re not quite sure. They like the idea of living closer to family but love the town of Columbus. They really enjoy their church, the choir and the people they have met through their religious activities. Then again, they also realize that once they have children, they would like to live closer to us and Karen‘s parents, which makes a lot of sense as well. One of the biggest issues that they have right now in Columbus is there aren’t a lot of people their own age to meet. Most are older and already have families. Brett doesn’t mind this as he’s used to hanging out with older people and loves the guys he has met at Knights of Columbus where he is by far the youngest member. Karen, understandably, would like to find a group of friends her own age.  She loves the women in New Albany, but that’s over an hour away and it's hard for them to get together on a regular basis.

Through all of their talk about moving, I have tried to stay extremely neutral. I would love it if they lived closer to us even if it’s in Tallahassee, where Karen’s parents live. Although we travel to Bloomington quite often now, those trips will diminish next year once Cameron graduates and moves away from Southern Indiana. Thus, it would be really nice to take a 2 1/2-hour trip to see them instead of boarding a plane or making a driving 13 hours. 

Even though I think it would be nice for Doug and I if Brett and Karen moved, I try not to put any pressure on them. I would hate for them to move and not like Florida. It is very hot in the summer, and they would have to find new jobs, new friends, and a new church. That isn’t always easy. So, I have decided the best thing I can do is just listen and be supportive. God will lead them where they need to go, and I trust His judgment.  For now, I will just be very happy that Meg and Nick live so close, and that we have been able to travel back-and-forth to the Midwest quite a bit these past three years.


No comments:

Post a Comment