Last week at my biweekly appointment, my therapist asked me to take a quiz on depression. She felt that my weepiness was caused from a mental health issue and not just from being overwhelmed by the events of the summer. I had never been diagnosed with depression before but definitely understood her concerns. I had been very weepy. In fact, I cried for an hour after I cut Doug's hair and realized that the scar from his last bought with skin cancer would be noticeable. For some reason, I couldn't focus on the fact that Doug was healthy and that he honestly didn't care about his hair. I just kept thinking about that scar. Maybe my therapist was right.
After the scar incident, I told Doug what my therapist said. He listened but didn't really feel that I was depressed. He felt that I still enjoyed life too much. He also thought that I had other issues going on that I hadn't mentioned to my therapist. He suggested I should talk to Dr. Aich instead. After Doug said that, I realized that he was right. I had been having a lot of joint and muscle pain. I started getting headaches and I was physically exhausted. Even my morning walks had become too much. He also pointed out that my weepiness could have been from the news that we received from Syracuse last week. Our long-time insurance agent whom I had known since I was fourteen had died unexpectedly from pneumonia. It was hard not to think about as he had children Cal, Meg and Cameron's ages.
I took Doug's advice and had bloodwork done in anticipation of my appointment with Dr. Aich at the end of the month. As soon as I read the report, I knew exactly what was wrong. My Vitamin D was very low. That had happened one other time in my life and I had the exact same symptoms that I was having now - fatigue, joint pain, nerve issues, weepiness, and more. I messaged my doctor right away and she increased my Vitamin D to every other day instead of every other week. I know that it will take a while for it to make a difference, but just finding out that there was something medically wrong and that I could do something about it made all the difference.
No comments:
Post a Comment