Monday, October 8, 2018

There Were a lot of Great Memories Made



Today was my brother's 55th birthday.  As I looked through pictures that I had or ones that my Mom posted on Facebook I was reminded that although his time with us was short, thirteen years, there were a lot of great memories made with him.  I was the most annoying little sister that I could be.  After he died that used to make me feel sad, that was, until I had children of my own.  I realized that part of being a younger sibling was being annoying, just like part of being an older sibling was to pick on those below you.  Bunk scowled in most pictures that were taken of him.  I assumed that was because he couldn't stand me.  Then I learned as a parent that most children hate having their pictures taken.  It almost seems like a right of passage to get annoyed with your mom or dad for snapping a photo at every moment possible.  The part that I can see now that children can't is just how much those pictures mean later in life.  Without them the memories fade quicker.  Thus, when my Mom posted a picture of Bunk and I that I hadn't seen before I was thankful.  Then I laughed.  Why wouldn't he have been annoyed with me?  I never left him alone.

My memories of Bunk will never truly fade, however, and this year I have appreciated how much Cameron has changed in appearance.  Although typical of a thirteen year old, the part that has been most enjoyable for me is seeing my brother in him.  Sometimes it is his actual appearance - the hair, braces, glasses, eyes, and nose, but other times it is his mannerism or the scowl on his face.  To me it is an ever present reminder that someone else is part of our family even if he couldn't be here in person.  For that I do not need photographs.


No comments:

Post a Comment