Saturday, June 17, 2023

Picking Favorites

Growing up I realized that many parents and grandparents had favorite children or grandchildren.  I never really thought much about it when I was younger.  I just figured that it was a fact of life.  I didn't really  hear adults talk about their preferred family members.  Instead, I noticed that they would give better presents, more support and financial gifts to some children or grandchildren and not others.  Although, "favorite" was never said, it was definitely implied.  Recently, I even overheard someone tell another family member which one of their grandchildren was "most special to them."

After having four children of my own, the word favorite has a whole new meaning to me.  The only time that we use the word in our family is when one of us asks "What's your favorite Christmas movie?" or "Who's your favorite band?"  Meg will joke sometimes that Cal is my favorite, but in my entire life of being a parent, I can honestly say that I have never had a favorite child.  There may have been times that a child was easier than the others or that one had more of my attention for awhile, but that was because of necessity not favoritism.  With their differences in personality, healthcare and interests, there is no way that we could ever treat all four of them the same,  but I can definitely say that I love being a mom to all of the Heinisch children equally.  



No comments:

Post a Comment