Monday, June 12, 2023

IU Orientation

Cameron and I spent the morning together on IU's campus.  That was a lot different than Meg and Cal's orientation.  For theirs, the parents were separated from the students immediately after check in occurred.  I liked Cameron's a lot better because we got to sit together at the auditorium, listen to several speakers, learn about consent with a fun video and talk to each other about what we had learned.  It wasn't until lunchtime that I said goodbye to Cameron as he headed out with his orientation group.

While Cameron was enjoying his orientation leader's tour of IU and learning about the courses that he would need to take at Kelley, I met Meg at the Union for lunch.  She had worked on packing her apartment this morning and was ready for a break.  Afterward, we dropped the Pilot off at Firestone to get the oil changed.  We had just enough time to see Doug before she ran me back to orientation.

I don't know if I would have attended any of the afternoon sessions, but there was one that I really didn't want to miss as it directly affected Cameron.  I ended up staying for three of them.  The first one was with the director of housing and had great advice.  The second one was extremely boring filled with less than helpful information.  The third session was my favorite and included the part that I really want to be at for Cameron.  As soon as it was over, I headed to Forest cafeteria to meet Cameron and Doug.

Our meal at the food court was nice, but the best part was hearing everything that Cameron had done in the afternoon.  He was definitely on information overload, but did learn a lot about classes and life on campus.  He left Union Street after dinner for IU Late Night while Doug and I headed back to Brett's.

Doug had moved all of the furniture into Brett's apartment while I was at orientation.  I was extremely impressed as several of the pieces were heavy and awkward.  We helped him set up the bed and move some of the pieces into the bedroom.  The best part was the new chair.  It fit so much better than the green one and looked a lot nicer.  

Doug, Brett and I went to dinner at The Tap tonight.  It wasn't quite as good as normal as they had a very limited menu.  We made the best of it with a couple of beers and dessert for dinner.  We spent the rest of the night resting at Brett's apartment with a couple of bags of breadsticks.  As we were just getting ready for bed, I got a text from Cameron.  He said that he had had a wonderful night, met several new people and enjoyed the evening quite a bit.  I was so incredibly happy to hear that.






No comments:

Post a Comment