Friday, June 16, 2023

Cousins' Get Together

Before Christmas, my cousin, Amy, contacted my mom to see if she'd be available at some time this summer if she brought her mom, Bobbie, up for a visit.  My mom was definitely ready to see her first cousin and gave Amy dates that would work for her.  They picked this week and my mom started talking to me about having a cousins' get together when they were here.  At first she talked about meeting at a restaurant, but remembered that the last time they did this it was hard to talk to everyone.  That's when I decided to offer our home for their reunion.  My parents were a little bit worried that it would be too much work for Doug and I, but since we already had to have the house ready for graduation and putting the house on the market, it was no problem to host a party.

Doug  cooked brats and hamburgers tonight and my mom asked everyone to bring a favorite dish.  At 6 p.m. this evening we had a full house of people including my mom's siblings and many of her first cousins.  It was a lot of fun listening to everyone reminisce and catching up with my cousin Amy.  There were a lot of stories from the past and even a black and white video of the Guard reunions from long ago.  I loved watching it and seeing my grandparents in those reels.  Although I wasn't in the pictures, I could still remember those same type of reunions from my childhood. 

Cameron, Meg and Alina joined the get together for awhile, enjoying the food and visiting with my aunts and uncles.  It was after 10 p.m. before everyone headed out for the night, all having a wonderful time and looking forward to a future cousins' get together.  As I wouldn't be able to host the next reunion, I was very happy that this one was a huge success.






No comments:

Post a Comment