Monday, June 19, 2023

Mammogram Time

I left early for Warsaw today for my noon appointment at the hospital.  I knew that I could almost always get in early for a mammogram.  The hospital was all torn up for a remodeling project that wouldn't be finished for well over two years.  Thankfully, women's imaging was open as usual.  I just had to register at a different place.  I was right about getting in early, as I was done with my appointment well before twelve.

A yearly mammogram for me is really no big deal.  Besides the uncomfortableness of the process, it is not anything that I worry about, especially since I have no history of breast cancer on either side of my families.  I realize that is completely different for Doug's mother's side of the family.  As far as I know, every female on the Brucker side had been diagnosed with the disease by the time Jeanette had died.  

Obviously, I hope that is not the case for Meg, Morgan and Addie.  Even if it is, I know that medical technology has really advanced in the last ten years which should help greatly with a long term prognosis if any of them are diagnosed.  Thankfully, they are all young enough that for now that they really only just need to be aware of the family history.  With that in mind, today, I will just appreciate that I am not high risk and will put it out of my mind until next spring when I receive a reminder message to schedule my next one.  

No comments:

Post a Comment