Wednesday, March 29, 2023

There Has to be an End One Day

Today, I had the tedious project of painting the front door.  I knew that it would take longer than the one leading to the garage, but never planned on it taking five and a half hours.  The trim was impossible to paint and the light coming in from the windows made it very hard to see.  I wasn't sure at first if I would ever be able to finish it, but by 5 p.m. I had two coats of paint on the door, cleaned up the area and had even finished painting some areas that were missed on the walls from our weekend painting.  The project was so overwhelming that I asked Doug to say that the door looked great even if it didn't.  Thankfully, he and Cameron both thought it looked nice.  Cameron also said that he liked the new color choices for the walls and doors.  I was glad to hear that as it had been a lot of work to transform those areas.

I listened to Father Mike during the first couple hours of my painting.  He talked about how blessed laborers were as they were still doing God's work even if it wasn't inside of the church.  I told Meg that I appreciated the sentiment, especially today, but what I really wanted for him to say was, "Doing household projects to get your house ready to sell absolutely sucks!"  We both agreed that probably wasn't he should say as a priest, but today I would have enjoyed it.

When Doug and I talked about all of the items that we would have to do to get the house ready, I had hoped that we would be able to hire a lot of them out.  That has been impossible with rising costs this year, especially those regarding food, gas and education expenses.  They have thrown off our budget this year and I haven't been able to put away anything extra for household projects.  With Doug working a lot more and traveling several times a month, the bulk of the projects have fallen on me.  I have tried to do everything that I can to save money and fix what needed repaired or updated myself.  I would have loved hiring someone to do the painting, but at least we are done and saved money so that if we have to pay someone to clean the outside of house, it won't be so hard on the budget.  During our phone call Meg reminded me that one day this will all come to an end.  I know that she is right, but it sure didn't feel like it today.

No comments:

Post a Comment