Thursday, October 27, 2022

The Highs and Lows of Fall

My favorite season by far has always been fall.  I love the changing of the colors, the crips mornings that turn into beautiful sunny afternoons, pumpkins, Halloween, watching football with the guys and so much more.  There is a big negative of the autumn season, however, that gets harder and harder to deal with every year.  The most challenging part of fall to me are the leaves.  Every October our beautiful backyard becomes covered with more of them than anyone else's in the neighborhood.  Even this year after losing six trees from last fall, we still had a yard full.  Our front tree also decided to drop its leaves early this year, so not only is our backyard full, but so is the front.  

As Doug had been very busy these past few weeks, I thought that I would help him out today, especially since the weather was perfect for working outdoors.  I knew that raking for a long period of time would hurt my arms, so I borrowed my Mom's leaf blower and got to work on the front tree.  The leaves were wet and thick which made it more challenging than in years past.  In the middle of my efforts, Josh came over to check on my progress  He said that the rake on his mower was broken, but once it got fixed he would be able to "rake" the leaves for us.  I thanked him, but told him that I'd go ahead and keep working as there were plenty more to come down.  He then brought me his gas powered leaf blower to try instead.  It definitely was more powerful, but a lot heavier.  I didn't want to say no, so I did my best to lug it around the front tree and driveway blowing our leaves into piles.  By the time Doug got home from work, I could barely lift my arms.  

Thankfully, Doug took over from there, raking all of the leaves on to a tarp and then dragging them into the back lot.  Within an hour the front yard was pretty much leaf free.  We knew that it wouldn't last and made plans to work some more tomorrow.  As much as I love fall in Indiana, I will never miss raking leaves when we decide to move.  

No comments:

Post a Comment