Monday, October 17, 2022

When It Rains, It Snows??

Cameron and I spent the afternoon in Fort Wayne shopping and having lunch at Portillo's.  It was a lot of fun and we got some great deals on clothes for him including a new suit jacket, several pairs of jeans, and a few shirts.  On the way home we thought about going to Fashion Farm to pick out pumpkins.  Our plans changed, however, once the rain started.  That along with the forty degree temperatures, made it way too cold for me to be outside in a pumpkin patch.

It was definitely the right decision as the rain turned quickly to sleet and eventually to snow.  It was the earliest that I could ever remember having a snowstorm and the repercussion of having it snow while the leaves were on the trees soon started to emerge.  Doug was at CVS getting his Covid booster and flu shot when we arrived home.  He forget his vaccine card so I ran it down to him.  The slush on the road made it hard to drive.  I needed something from my parents, so I stopped by on my way home.  I was surprised to see a large branch hanging down to the ground in their driveway.  The snow had collected on the leaves of the branch and weighted it down so much that it actually ended up snapping by the end of the night.

Doug was home by the time I arrived.  As soon as I walked in, the lights started to flicker.  I realized that we were probably in for a long night.  The snow wasn't supposed to end until late in the evening and we could already see that the tree limbs were saturated with snow.  By 5:45 our power was out and a large limb had snapped on our front tree.  Shortly after the first branch fall, several others started to come down in our back, front and side yard.  It was the strangest sound that I have ever heard.  We could hearing popping reminiscent of an old time machine gone all around our house as the branches kept snapping.  Thankfully, we had taken down the biggest trees in the backyard, so we weren't worried about damage to the house.  Only the van seemed to be in danger as the tree by the basketball goal lost the most limbs.  

Once we realized that we weren't going to get power any time soon, we decided to head to Grandma Jane's.  She didn't have internet, but she did have power.  I felt bad that Doug couldn't work, but at least we could make dinner and play Oh Hell.  It was a nice way to spend the evening while we waited out the storm.  Cameron, Doug and I returned home close to 10 p.m.  By then we could at least use our phones for cellular data.  Doug fell asleep right away while Cameron and I both spent the rest of the night reading. He and I talked about going back to Grandma's to sleep, but decided in the end just to stay home.  Shortly after midnight we both headed to bed and within five minutes of getting ready, the lights turned on and stayed on for the night.  We were glad to finally have power and to be done with this rare October snowstorm. 

No comments:

Post a Comment