Sunday, October 30, 2022

A Long Walk Down Memory Lane

I spent the last month or so sorting through nine different tubs of Heinisch family photos.  Most were in albums, but there were a lot of loose pictures as well.  My plan was to take all of the pictures that I wanted to keep and place them in Ziploc bags by year.  By doing so, I hoped to downsize from nine tubs to two.  Eventually, I would then be able to make photo books out of the pictures like I have for the last ten years.  

As soon as I started the project, I almost instantly became overwhelmed.  There were a lot more pictures than I realized and some were extremely hard to get out of the albums.  I also had quite a bit of photos from Jeanette that I had to sort through as well.  I definitely thought about quitting a few times, but realized that we just wouldn't have room when we moved to store nine tubs of pictures.  Thankfully, Meg Doug, and Cameron were super supportive as I worked on the project.

Today, I finally finished the last of the pictures.  I was not only glad that I was done, but appreciated the long walk down memory lane.  Vacations, birthdays, holidays and every day life in the Heinisch home were in those tubs.  It was so nice to be reminded of all that we had done as a family.  It was also wonderful to see the pictures of the Heinisch children with their grandparents and great-grandparents, especially those who were no longer with us.  There were times that I laughed out loud like when I saw the photo of Meg on Easter morning with all of her hair in front of her face as she held up her Easter gifts.  Other times I was transported straight back in time such as our trip to Grant's Farm with three year old Cal at the petting zoo, telling the goats "That's enough for you goat!" as he moved the milk bottle to another hungry animal.  Brett's obsession with Thomas the Tank Engine and Cameron's facial expression were so much fun to relive as well.  I forgot how much Doug and I traveled when we were first married.  The pictures from college were also priceless.  Even though it was daunting at times, I certainly was glad that I decided to organize the pictures.  Now, on to the next project.   









No comments:

Post a Comment