Thursday, May 26, 2022

Walking Down Memory Lane

Meg and I spent a good portion of today sorting through her room.  I know that we were both dreading the project as she still had quite a bit of items in her room from her childhood.  In the end, however, we had a lot of fun and accomplished way more than either of us thought that we would.  When we stopped for a break we realized that we had filled two tubs for the garage sale.  We also filled a tub to keep with her memory ones in the basement and got rid of a big bag of trash.  I loved looking through her dance costumes with her.  There were so many cute ones and Meg kept almost all of them.  She read her cards and letters from graduation bringing back so many memories.  She also found all of her photo albums, scrap books and even a binder of news paper clippings in which she had appeared in over the years.  We enjoyed looking through all of them.

While Meg and I were walking down memory lane today, I did have a little pang of nostalgia.  For a minute or two I wanted all of the Heinisch children back in our home, hanging out together, playing games, going trick or treating, just having fun.  It seemed all so much simpler then.  I quickly realized that it wasn't easier years ago.  It was a lot of work raising four children.  We had had struggles then, sadness, and tough times.  The difference between then and today was that we had survived those just like we would survive this current tragedy.  All of our experiences then as a family prepared us for today.  I was thankful for that, but didn't need to relive it.  I did enjoy looking at the memories, however.  As Cal told me when I texted everyone this picture, "The L stands for Love!"  He was totally correct.



No comments:

Post a Comment