Monday, May 16, 2022

Here's the Story . . .

Meg arrived home last night in time to eat dinner, unpack her car and catch up with us before heading to bed.  Today I got to spend a lot of time with her.  We took a long walk, visited with Grandma and reorganized all that she brought back from Bloomington.  After dinner tonight, I also got to open both hers and Doug's Mother's Day gifts from me.  They had purchased them in Florida.  I loved the M & M ice cream bowls and flamingo shirt that she gave me along with the new Dolly Parton book from Doug.  

Tonight Doug had to work.  Meg and I were hoping to play Swap Meet with Cameron once he got home from practice.  When he called to say that he was going to play another nine holes, both of us were a little disappointed.  That's when I suggested the watching an episode of the "new" show that Meg had started binge watching while studying for finals - The Brady Bunch.  Meg was up for it and I didn't have to talk Doug into it.  The Brady Bunch was one of his all time favorite shows.

It had been years since either Doug or I had watched the Bradys.  It was like revisiting an old friend.  I had grown up with the Bradys and Doug had watched them religiously with his roommate in college.  We knew which episodes were playing within the first minute of airing and we enjoyed watching Meg's reaction to the show.  She had decided a couple of weeks ago that Doug and I were Mike and Carol.  Since we only had four children in the Heinisch family, she had to think long and hard about who each of her brothers were on the show.  She knew instantly that she identified with Jan, but it was harder for her to place her brothers.  She easily decided that Brett was Greg and Cameron was Bobby, but she just couldn't see Cal as Peter.  She viewed he and Cindy as the weakest on the show and didn't feel that either of them would fit in the Heinisch family.  I finally suggested to her that maybe Cal was most like Marcia.  Instantly, she agreed that he fit as the most famous child on the show.  Both Doug and I got a kick out of Meg's take on the show.  It was a great way to pass time with Meg while waiting for a round of Mario Kart with Cameron.  As an added bonus, she even won tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment