Sunday, May 1, 2022

Sunday Blues

 The Carpenters had a song in the 1970s that I remember well from the one line - "Rainy days and Mondays always get me down."  It was a sad melody that even as a child I didn't really like for two reasons.  First, I preferred songs that were more upbeat.  Second, I didn't really mind rainy days and absolutely loved Mondays.  I enjoyed going to school, so the start of the week never bothered me.

As an adult I still don't like the song, but I can at least relate on the disappointment of a rainy day.  That's especially true this year as the spring weather has been miserable.  Mondays, however, never really get me down.  It's actually Sundays that give me the blues more than any other day of the week.  Today was no exception and I was not alone in feeling that way.  

I woke up this morning feeling a little blah.  That's not unusual on Sunday mornings for me.  The disappointment of the weekend ending has always made me a little sad.  Today's feeling, however, was a little heavier than usual.  I had really enjoyed the past few days and knew that the next two weeks would be filled with a lot of projects around the home and days away from Doug as he had to travel for work on multiple trips.  

Cameron came home from Samuel's this morning and I could tell that he felt the same way that I did about today.  He had had a lot of fun on Friday and Saturday night.  The let down of a quiet Sunday was definitely in his voice when he talked to us about the fun he had had at prom.  I was glad that he decided to go play 18 holes at Black Squirrel.  He not only played well, but he ran into Austin and talked to him for awhile.  That made his Sunday a little less "blah."

Normally, on Sundays I try to pretend that it's a great day and I'm having a lot of fun, but this time I decided to tell Doug how I felt.  To my surprise he said that Sunday wasn't his favorite day either.  The thought of another workweek ahead kept creeping into his mind, especially today.  He had tried to stay busy by tearing down the playhouse, but it didn't stop the pit in his stomach from growing.

Just like Cameron, we tried to make the best of it.  We took a walk, enjoyed the arrival of the Orioles to their home in our backyard, worked on Legos and watched Golden State beat the Grizzlies in a close game.  Cameron decided that he wanted to play Oh Hell tonight, so that helped to eliminate the Sunday blues as well.  I don't know if I will ever find a perfect solution to the depressing feeling that Sunday can bring, but today definitely was better than I expected when I woke up.

No comments:

Post a Comment