Monday, March 7, 2022

"I Parred the First Hole!"

As Doug had to work today, I let Cameron chose our activities for the day.  We talked about going to the Clearwater Aquarium or to Crystal River, but in the end Cameron decided that he really wanted to play nine holes this afternoon.  Even though I hadn't played golf in over five years, I offered to play with him.  He agreed to letting me tag along.  

Since we couldn't get a tee time at SummerGlen Golf Club until  3:15, we had plenty of time to go shopping today and take Doug to lunch beforehand.  We started our morning at Dick's Sporting Goods.  Cameron didn't find anything there, but did purchase a sweatshirt and long sleeve shirt that he liked at Marshall's.  We then had just enough time to check out the vinyls at Barnes & Noble before we took Doug to lunch.  Cameron picked Tijuana Flats for our meal.  We had eaten there on Saturday and he really liked it.  Cameron and I then stopped at the Paddock Mall after we dropped Doug back at Winco.  He found even more stores that he liked there and bought several items at Belk's and American Eagle.  I scored big with a sale at Yankee Candle buying two large candles for $15 total.  



We made it to SummerGlen by 3 p.m.  I was very nervous to play, so I was glad that it was just Cameron and I on the tee.  I had sold my clubs several years ago, so I used Doug's today.  I had never played with them.  I was afraid of making a complete fool out of myself, but hit a pretty good drive on number one.  I was pleasantly surprised when my second shot hit the middle of the green.  We hadn't had time to practice putting, so I was relieved when Cameron told me that the greens were slow.  I knew that slow greens  would be a lot easier on a rusty golfer like me.  I hit my first putt of the round pretty well leaving it pin high to the right.  The second putt found the back of the hole.  I couldn't believe that I had parred the first hole that I had played in over five years.  I texted Cal, Doug, and my parents right away.  I only parred one other hole, but overall was extremely pleased with my round.  I ended up with a 51.  

In the end the score really didn't matter to me.  I was just glad that Cameron wanted me to play with him and that I did not embarrass him.  It was fun to see him play well.  He was happy that he had shot a 41 which was eleven strokes better than Saturday.  We had some fun golf stories to share with Doug while we enjoyed Piesano's pizza for dinner tonight. It was a great way to end our time in Florida.

No comments:

Post a Comment