Thursday, March 24, 2022

Basketball and Haircuts

When Doug and I started talking about downsizing and moving after Cameron graduates from high school, we focused on everything that we were excited about with a change.  We wanted a bigger town with more restaurants to eat at and events to attend.  We wanted Doug to be closer to his work at least within twenty minutes and we definitely wanted a warmer climate.  

Once we thought about what we wanted, we talked about what we would miss in leaving Northern Indiana.  There wasn't a lot on our list, but one thing that I mentioned almost immediately was getting my haircut.  It sounded silly when I said it, but Amanda has been cutting my hair for at least the past fifteen years and I just love going in for my appointment.  I have known Amanda since high school and we always have a lot to talk about from tennis, to mutual friends, to our families.  She has multiple women that work for her and there's always something entertaining going on while I'm there.  Today's activities revolved around the discussion of the IHSAA's rule change for practice requirements and how to make the perfect shade of teal hair dye.  I know that wherever I move next, I will never find the same relationship that I have with AK Hare and I will really miss that.

Doug feels the exact same way about Friday morning basketball.  He has been playing with the high school teachers since we first moved here over twenty-four years ago.  The participants have changed over the years, but many still play from his early days.  He has not only met a lot of members of the community through basketball, but he's also had a chance to play dozens of games with Cal and his friends.  Doug hasn't played as much lately due to his work schedule, but he did make time to play over Christmas break while Cal was home.  They had just as much fun as they had during Cal's high school days.  I know that Doug will really miss it when we do decide to move.

No comments:

Post a Comment