Wednesday, March 2, 2022

Ash Wednesday

Tonight Doug, Cameron and I all attended 5:30 p.m. Ash Wednesday mass together.  It was a beautiful day to be in church with the sun shining through the windows.  It was more crowded than the Saturday evening masses that we had been attending, but we still found a place to sit by ourselves.  Cameron and I wondered if the midweek mass would be shorter than usual.  Then we started laughing about how an hour feels long when you're Catholic, but the Mennonite services can easily pass the two hour mark.  In the end it was the same length as a typical mass only with added time for Father to distribute the ashes.  

In general Father Andrew's homilies can be a little on the long side.  I find it difficult to concentrate sometimes due to the length, but didn't have that issue this evening.  His sermon seemed to really resonate with me as he talked about what we could give up for the Lenten season and what acts of charity we could commit to this year.  He tied those topics into what has been currently happening in Ukraine and I really appreciated that.  At times I can be completely overwhelmed with the small worries in life that I forget the bigger picture.  Father Andrew reminded me tonight that sometimes just having a roof over my head, food on the table and a family to share it with is enough.  He was absolutely correct and I was thankful for the reminder.  

No comments:

Post a Comment