Tuesday, December 28, 2021

Euchre

Today's afternoon was spent playing Euchre with Cameron, Grandma and Grandpa.  It was the second time that I had played Euchre this week and the result was the same for me as I was the big loser both times.  After today's outcome, I could totally understand why Euchre had never been one of Doug's favorite card games.  It wasn't because he grew up in Illinois where Spades and Hearts were more popular than the Indiana card game.  It was because he felt that it was a game of luck.  

This week totally proved Doug's opinion, at least to me.  No matter who my partner was in the games that I played on Christmas night with Cal, Doug and Cameron or from those today, my cards never matched their hands.  I would have a loner in black and hearts would be called trump.  During rounds when my partners would make trump, I would only have a nine or ten to lead.  Another problem that I had was knowing what to lead or play as each partner that I was paired with had different expectations for me.  One time I led trump after Cal made it hearts.  He was instantly annoyed as he wanted me to lead any off suit card.  Grandpa would have completely disagreed with that if he was playing as he would have wanted me to lead trump if I didn't have an off suit ace.  I tried my best, but in the end it really didn't matter if I won any games this week.  I still preferred Euchre to any other card game and most importantly I just really enjoyed spending time with everyone.  

No comments:

Post a Comment