Wednesday, January 18, 2023

FAFSA & Scholarships

Since we got back from Florida, I have been helping Cameron with scholarships.  I figured that I was a good resource for him as I had already helped Brett, Cal and Meg.  One thing that changed drastically since I first helped his siblings fill out their forms was Cameron's FAFSA score.  When I looked it up for one of the scholarships, it gave him a score of almost 70,000.  It meant (according to the government) that our family would be able to afford $70,000 a year for Cameron to go to college.  Obviously, I didn't agree with that, but there wasn't anything that I could do about it.  The more I thought about it, the angrier I got.  How could anyone afford to pay that much in cash for college?  Even if we could, what if we decided to make Cameron pay his for his own college.  The government wouldn't give him any money because of our "ability to pay", but there wasn't anything that said that we had to pay for it.  The whole thing made no sense to me.  

Thus, I went back to looking into scholarships that he could apply for this winter.  IU had several and asked him to complete one for the IU honors college.  I was very hopeful that he would be awarded one or two of those and maybe receive a merit scholarship as well.  The rest that he completed were a long shot, but we thought that we might as try.  I don't know how Indian Farm Bureau or Kosciusko REMC awarded their winners, but maybe there was a chance for Cameron as we had been long time members.  I also hoped that the Knights of Columbus would help him as they did his siblings.  Either way, I decided to plan on paying it ourselves.  That way I wouldn't be disappointed if no one stepped up to help.   

No comments:

Post a Comment