Sunday, April 7, 2024

Nick is Not a Heinisch. For that I am Glad.

As Nick celebrated his 24th birthday this week, I thought a lot about when I first met him.  He was only 18 and a typical high school boy full of life and dreams.  It has been been fun watching him grow from his Bethany days to college graduate to Meg's fiancee.  When he and Meg first started dating, I remember telling her that Nick was not a Heinisch.  She asked me what I meant by that.  I wasn't sure how to explain it.  It wasn't a criticism.  I just knew that he had something different to offer her.  I didn't realize at the time how much we would all come to appreciate that difference as well.  

Nick's laid back personality in crisis has been helpful to our family in so many ways.  He has not only helped Meg in various situations, but was the one that I asked to drive Cameron to Goshen late one May night after Richard was killed.  Since that time, he has also supported Brett when he most needed a friend and was able to change Cal's flat tire yesterday even though the rim had been bent.  He didn't even complain about missing the end of the Purdue game or the fact that they were in a worry some part of town.  

As Nick left for Bloomington tonight to meet Cameron for the solar eclipse tomorrow, I thought a lot about my initial statement to Meg.  Nick isn't a Heinisch.  His skill set makes him extremely important to our family and we all appreciate that very much.  I learned over the years that we didn't need any more Heinisch men in our family, but a Yoder we could definitely use.  


No comments:

Post a Comment