Wednesday, April 10, 2024

The Missing

In 1981, searching for missing children became forefront on the news.  John Walsh's son, Adam, was kidnapped from a department store and two weeks later found murdered.  The Walsh family was everywhere and after their son's death, John started a movement to help find all missing children.  He started the show, American's Most Wanted, and helped put missing children's faces on milk cartons around the world.

Since I was not quite thirteen when all of this happened, I grew up in a generation that had a healthy fear of being kidnapped or going missing.  Since becoming a mother, that fear did not end.  I can name several times where a Heinisch child was out of sight for a short while that made my heart stop.  As my children became adults that fear remained.  Stories of people in their twenties who had too much to drink, experimented with a new narcotic or went home with the wrong guy and ended up missing have made the news quite often. It is something in the back of my mind at all times.  

Unfortunately, I have come to realize that I can't control what happens to my adult children.  Thankfully though, I can support them, pray for their safety, and keep in contact with them so that if something would happen I would always be available to help.  I thought a lot about the mothers of missing children this week.  A mother's heart is bound with her children for life.  It would be terrible not knowing where your child was no matter their age.  I hope that those mothers find peace in their times of trouble and I pray that our family never knows that pain.  

No comments:

Post a Comment