Tuesday, April 23, 2024

Deal or No Deal Island

Several months ago I saw an add for a new Deal or No Deal Island reality television show that was scheduled to start in February.  It was a combination of the old Deal or No Deal show and Survivor.  Although it looked very lame, I was interested in watching it because my favorite Survivor player, Boston Rob, was on it.  Doug made fun of me for trying it, but then figured out the truth behind the show way earlier than I did.

When the show first started, I hoped that Boston Rob would make it to the second week.  Doug said not to worry as he would be there a lot longer than two episodes.  I didn't believe him at first, but after a month I realize that Doug was right and finally asked him how he knew what would happen on the show.  He said that he assumed that the only way to get Boston Rob to agree to be on the show was to guarantee him that he would be around until the last three episodes.  He said that the episodes were most like staged to give Rob an advantage as he was the reason that people tuned in weekly.  I had never thought about it before as Amazing Race and Survivor were completely different reality tv series.  They definitely use creative editing, but there is no guarantee of surviving each round.  I've seen way too many fan favorites get voted off in Survivor or finish last in Amazing Race.

Tonight, I sat on the edge of my seat sure that Boston Rob was going home.  He and his ally, Aron, had lost the challenge and both were on the chopping block.  When Doug went to bed a half hour before the show was over, he said not to worry.  They'd find a way to keep him another week.  Of course, Doug was 100% correct as the person playing Deal or No Deal made a bad decision sending him home instead of Rob. I wasn't even mad that Doug was right.  I was just relieved that Boston Rob survived.  It no longer matters to me if it is rigged or not.  I'll be watching next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment