Friday, February 26, 2021

There He Goes . . .



Cal let us know a couple of weeks ago that Jayce's roommate in Chicago had moved out and that he would be able to sublet from him.  We were excited for Cal.  The timing was perfect as he had been able to work at Grandma's these past two months and live at home.  My parents were set to return by March 3rd, so he would be out of their house and we would have it all cleaned up well before they came back home.  Cal also thought that they might soon be required to go to the office on some days.  Living in Chicago would definitely make that easier.  

Cal never said it, but after nine months at home we knew that he had to be excited to finally be out on his own.  We were happy for him as well.  Both Doug and I remembered what it was like to be that age when independence was very much cherished.  Cal spent the day packing and I did tear up when he finally said goodbye.  Even though I knew he'd be back to visit, this time he wasn't just leaving for a weekend or even a semester.  It was for life.  As I walked back into the house, Doug reminded me of just how lucky we really were.  When Cal received an email from Plante Moran in May letting him know that his start date had changed from September to January, we both worried that his job would be furloughed.  Thankfully, that was not the case and because of the change we got to spend a lot of quality time with Cal before "he flew the coop."  Doug was right and I spent the rest of the night feeling blessed.  Cal must have sensed that as later in the evening I received this text.  I couldn't have agreed more.


No comments:

Post a Comment