Thursday, February 11, 2021

The Game of Life

Last week while Cameron was home from school on a Wednesday I talked him into playing a board game with me.  He readily agreed, but we weren't sure which one to chose.  We had played Mouse Trap and Pay Day previously, so I asked him if he'd like to try another one of my favorite childhood games, Life.  He had never played the original as his siblings preferred the Simpsons and SpongeBob versions of the game, but said he'd be up for trying it.

Thus, Cam headed to the basement and soon sat down with my beloved game that still sported a stain where I spilled slime on it in middle school.  The game of Life had many details to it and it took some time for me to remember them all.  Therefore, we spent some time reading and rereading the instructions before we began.  From the first spin, Cameron found the game just as intriguing as I always did.  Riding in a car, deciding on a career path, sharing the wealth, getting married, having children, playing the market and suing for damages were all aspects of Life that made it fun for anyone who loved board games.  Cameron caught on to that right away.  Being familiar with the game I had an advantage when we played the first time and beat Cameron in a close match.  

Tonight we decided to have a rematch as Doug was at a county council meeting and would be home late.  It was actually even more fun than the first time we played as we knew more of the game and what to expect.  Paying $10,000 to get rid of my Uncle's skunk farm were spaces to avoid while earning $120,000 for discovering uranium were coveted spots.  In the end Cameron became a millionaire beating me pretty easily.  The outcome of the game didn't matter to me, however.  Sharing a piece of my childhood was the real reward.  


No comments:

Post a Comment