Thursday, February 4, 2021

Slow Going

All week I had been hearing that we would have a snowstorm tonight.  Therefore, I wasn't surprised this morning when I woke up to a winter weather advisory on my phone.  It stated that the snow would start at 4 p.m.   I thought that was perfect timing for me to get Cameron home from Bethany before it began.  I told Cam as I dropped him off in the morning to make sure to bring everything home that night as I could see a school cancellation for tomorrow.  

I communicated with Meg, Brett and Cal several times during the day to see how the weather was in Bloomington.  They weren't enjoying the 40 degrees and rain, but at least it wasn't supposed to freeze.  I told Cal that I was glad that he decided to head down last night for his weekend trip especially after getting the alert on my phone.  He was happy as well as he hadn't been to Bloomington in awhile and had plenty of room to work remotely from Brett's.  Little did I know how thankful I would really be that he left early.

Meg called me to check in again around 2:45.  As we talked I happened to look outside and noticed that it was snowing already.  The intensity picked up quickly and I decided to leave ten minutes early for Bethany.  I couldn't believe how much snow had already come down in such a short period.  It was not only sticking to the roads, but was starting to freeze as well.  It took longer than normal to school and even more time to return home.  While we were driving Cam sent a text to his friends saying, "I can't believe that my Mom won't let me drive in this" with a rolling eyes emoji.  I knew that he was joking as it was pretty intense and several times we hit patches of ice that pulled the tires of the Pilot towards the side of the road.  Although it was slow going we both appreciated everyone staying at 25 miles per hour or under on county road 29.  I explained to Cameron that I didn't want to get in an accident, but knew at that speed it would definitely be a minor one if we did.  Thankfully, that did not happen and we pulled into the drive safely at 4:20.  We were both relieved to be home.  

Later that evening he texted his friend Bailee who was on her way to Indianapolis for a medical procedure.  She told him that they saw eight accidents on their way down.  After hearing that I felt even more blessed that Cal made it to Bloomington safely last night and that Doug was able to avoid the icy roads as well by working from home today.  Cam was just happy to find out that Bethany had already called a two hour delay for tomorrow.



No comments:

Post a Comment