Sunday, February 14, 2021

Valentines Day #31 and Counting

Today was Doug and my 31st Valentines Day together.  It was a low key celebration, but appreciated just the same.  I had asked for new earrings for the holiday which Doug was happy to pick out.  He also surprised me with chocolates and roses which have always been my favorite Valentine presents.  As in years past, Doug was easy to please with a variety pack of Samuel Adams, some new alcohol to try, mixed nuts and Ghirardelli in his gift bag.  Our day was spent playing games with Cameron, working on a lighthouse puzzle and watching the movie Onward together.  We had gotten each of the Heinisch children a food gift card and candy to honor the day and appreciated the texts, calls and in person thank you's that we received in return. 



As the day ended I thought about past Valentines Days in which I would almost make the holiday miserable with high expectations that were hard for Doug or I to reach.  Almost a decade ago my idea on celebrating changed.  Doug was scheduled to travel on February 14th and I was devastated that he wouldn't be able to take me out to dinner on that "special" day.  A snowstorm postponed his trip keeping him at home instead.  We had a nice Valentines Day together, but I realized after that night that it wasn't about celebrating our relationship on a certain day.  It was about taking time to reflect on the time that we had been together and making plans for the future.  We didn't need to do that on the 14th of February.  We could that on any date.  The most important part was that we spent time together throughout the year improving our relationship and sharing our life together.  That's exactly what we did today and I couldn't have enjoyed it more.  

No comments:

Post a Comment