Sunday, February 21, 2021

Reality Hits Home

 This afternoon Doug and I were working in the basement once again and I just started crying.  At first I thought it was because of all of the extra boxes that we found in storage and the amount of work it was going to take to get them organized and out of the house.  Once Doug said, "We've got to do it sometime and right now is a lot easier than in twenty years," I realized that it wasn't getting the house ready to sell that was bothering me.  It was the fact that Cal was also packing up the basement, getting ready for his move to Chicago.  

Cal's been patiently waiting since last May to start his life.  His career had finally begun in January.  Now it was time for him to begin living on his own.  We had absolutely loved having him here for that extra time, but we realized that once all of his friends had moved out of town and HM had gone back to Bloomington that the excitement of living at home had lessened.  

Even though I knew all of that and was excited for him to "fly the nest" my heart still ached a little.  Cal must have sensed that as he told me later in the day that it was strange to think about leaving, but that he was excited about it at the same time.  He asked us to watch a movie with him later in the day and all of us jumped at the chance.  "Coming to America" was one of my favorites growing up and I was glad to share it with Cam and Cal.  Most importantly, however, I was incredibly happy to spend a last few hours with Cal before he began his life's journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment