Monday, February 22, 2021

Keyshawn, JWill & Zubin

 The best part of my day this school year has been the drives to and from Bethany.  Besides the time that it has given Cameron to practice his driving skills, it has also been the source of some wonderful conversions between him and I.  The afternoons have been the most fruitful for these interactions as Cam fills me in on his day, his classes, his latest Tik Tok ideas and more.  The mornings in general were always quieter as neither one of us was ready to start the day.  

To help fill the void on the drive in to Bethany last fall Cam and I started listening to ESPN radio in the mornings.  We enjoyed the programming as the topics were heavily dominated by college football and it broke up the silence in the van.   The show was very easy to listen to with an opinionated ex-football player at the lead, an NBA star humbled by injury sharing his thoughts and a highly knowledgeable ESPN sportscaster to keep the flow.  The discussion points were extremely interesting to Cam and soon he was sharing his thoughts on the morning's sports topics with both  Doug and Cal.  

I started to notice in October that even after I dropped Cam off at school that I would leave the radio tuned to ESPN.  The actual news in the country was too depressing for me to listen to and sports radio was a nice break from that.  Later in the day I would share what I had heard with Cameron as he drove us home.  He'd given me his opinions and I'd share theirs.  

Time wore on and my interest in the Keyshawn, JWill & Zubin show only grew.  The long winter days were broken up by their discussions and I even began taping their shows, so that when I would shovel I would have something to listen to outside.  Soon I was sharing my thoughts on their topics with Doug at lunch and texting Cal what I had heard.  The failings of the Bears to develop Mitch Trubiski, the Tom Brady GOAT debates and the prospect of Trevor Lawrence not being picked at the number one spot were just a few of the topics that I was now knowledgable enough to discuss with our male dominated home.  Yesterday as Keshawn ducked to avoid being hit by a seagull flying behind the glassed-in studio, I laughed with the rest of the viewers.  The "bird attack" didn't surprise me as much as how I had really grown to enjoy the show and was thankful for the influx of sports' insight that it had given me these past six months.   


No comments:

Post a Comment