Monday, November 4, 2019

Daylight Savings Time

Yesterday we set all of the clocks back an hour in accordance to Daylight Savings Time.   I didn't really think much about the time change after that.  As I posted our pictures from the weekend on Facebook later in the evening, happy that we were able to enjoy the extra time in our day, I was absolutely surprised by the amount of posts complaining about "falling back."  I normally don't read much on Facebook, but as I scrolled through the comments I actually became irritated with the negativity surrounding Daylight Savings Time.  Indiana decided thirteen years ago to join the rest of the country and initiated the change.  It was controversial at the time, but Mitch Daniels believed that it was best for the economic growth of the state.  I understood his rational and although I didn't have an opinion regarding the decision a decade ago, I was glad that the state chose to follow the Eastern time zone instead of Central.  We had lived in Illinois for several years and I could still remember how awful it felt when it got dark at 3:30.

I don't usually get annoyed with posts on Facebook, but tonight's really bothered me.  I wanted to type back "the decision was made thirteen years ago, get over it."  I knew that would be immature so I stopped myself.  I also felt that several of the teachers that were complaining were only doing so because they still resented Daniels for his decisions on education during his tenure as Indiana Governor.  I finally shut my computer when I read a post that stated, "I just want to go back to the old Indiana time."  As the time change yesterday put us back on Eastern Standard time we were "back to the old Indiana time."  It was the same time that we grew up with and the same time zone that felt most comfortable to me.  I realized at that point that ignorance and Facebook tend to go hand in hand and there was no reason to read anymore.  Part of me still wanted to comment on the idiocy of the statements, but I knew that nothing good would be accomplished and I would probably offend some of my friends.  Thus, I refrained and wished that others would have made that same choice as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment