Wednesday, April 27, 2022

The Bacon Plate

In the summer of 2020 we were all trying to figure out how to live in the middle of a pandemic.  Cameron spent his time on the golf course, Doug was in the middle of projects at work, Meg was busy with classwork and I was just trying to keep the house free of Covid.  Although none of us enjoyed the changes that the virus had brought to our life, we figured out a routine and it seemed to work out well for the four of us.

Cal was the one that struggled the most with the changes to our life in the Heinisch home during that time period.  His job with Plante Moran was delayed and all that he had to keep him busy was studying for the CPA.  He did work as a bag boy at Tippy and hung out with his friends at Maxwelton, but he definitely got frustrated with the reality of the pandemic.  In our house we believed that the most concentrated cases of the virus came from large gatherings.  Because of that we decided to stay away from two covid spreaders - church and restaurants.  That meant that Cal wasn't able to go to The Frog with his friends.  He found that frustrating, especially since a few of them made fun of him for our decision.

One night Cal came home from the golf course mad.  His friends were all going out and he was stuck at home with us.  I felt bad for him, but didn't really want to change our rules.  We still didn't know a lot about Covid and we definitely didn't want it in our house.  In the middle of our discussion, Cal decided to make dinner.  Shortly, after he started I realized that he had used one of our Rainforest Cafe plates to cook bacon in the microwave.  Needless to say, the plate did not survive that night.

I didn't say much to Cal about it.  I did show him the next day where the actual bacon plate was.  I realized that he was mad the night before and the plate took the brunt of his anger.  I tried to replace the plate as buying the set of them at Rainforest Cafe was a great memory of a fun trip to Disney World for Cameron, Meg and I.  Every time that we went to Disney Springs this past year, I would stop in their store looking for a new one.  I realized on our last trip that I wasn't going to find one.   

I decided a couple of weeks ago that I would start researching online for a replacement plate.  I found several on Ebay, but they were all part of a set.  I didn't want four additional animal plates, just Nile the Crocodile.  I finally found a lone plate up for auction, but the price was more than I wanted to spend - $12.95 plus shipping.  I decided to "watch it" and soon after I clicked the button I heard from the seller.  They would lower the price to $9.80.  That was a lot better, but I didn't want to accept right away.  In the end I went back to the seller and offered $8.  Doug thought I was crazy for trying to save a $1.80, but it worked.  The seller accepted my offer.  I paid right away and last night the plate arrived looking perfect.

I immediately texted everyone to let them know that Nile had arrived.  Brett loved the comment.  Cal promised not to use it again, at least not in the microwave.  Meg responded instantly, "Omg, the new bacon plate."  That made me laugh.  I never heard from Cameron, but I knew that he was busying with golf.  Once we got home, however, I realized that he had grabbed the plate right away to put his pizza on it.  I knew then that the purchase was well worth it.  



No comments:

Post a Comment