Sunday, June 13, 2021

Engagement Anniversary

Doug proposed to me twenty-nine years ago today.  It was a wonderful day for the both of us and the start of a fantastic life together, but as two of the Heinisch children have reached the same age that we were when we got engaged, our advice to them has been to wait until they are financially and emotionally ready before taking that step. During our two years together at IU, Doug and I had talked a lot about getting married and had even picked out a ring together.  Even so ,I really didn't believe that we would get engaged as soon as Doug graduated from college.  I was surprised and excited at the time and thought that we were more than ready for the next stage in our life.  

When I look back now at that point in our lives, I just can't believe how young and naive we really were.  The engagement period was the easy part.  The first year of marriage, however, was challenging for both of us.  I was taking classes to become certified as a Montessori teacher and worked at a school that was completely unsupportive of new teachers.  Doug was traveling all over the state, auditing banks and getting home later and later.  One of my ovaries ruptured and I ended up having emergency surgery that we weren't planning on either.  We made it through that time period and grew from our shared experiences.  Doug and I continued to work hard over the years to maintain a healthy, happy relationship and raise a wonderful family.   It wasn't easy at first, but it was definitely worth it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment