Wednesday, June 2, 2021

Reorganizing the Mud Room

When Doug and I first started talking about downsizing, we took inventory of our furniture and decided that one of the pieces that we were willing to part with was our computer desk.  As a corner desk, it didn't take up a lot of space, but we really didn't need it anymore.  We rarely used the old computer, but still had to have it for our router to connect with the modem.  We had a small buffet that we could use for the computer instead and a file cabinet to house the printer.  Once we made the decision to part ways with the computer desk, I called Brett to see if he had any interest in it since he had been using a microwave stand to hold his printer and office supplies.  After looking at a picture of it, he was more than happy to accept our "hand-me-down" desk.  

I was excited to move the piece of furniture out of our home, but a little overwhelmed about the process of cleaning it out.  We had a lot of office supplies stored on it and I would have to reorganize the buffet, a bookcase, a small pantry, and a closet to fit everything from the desk into the mudroom.  It took longer than I would have thought, so I was glad that I started on the project last week.  I couldn't believe all that we had collected over the past few years.  I got rid of at least a dozen pencil boxes of crayons, markers, and pencils that dated back to my teaching days.  I also threw out a lot of papers and other items that we no longer needed.  In the end I filled three boxes of items for the garage sale, a bag of trash and a carton of recycling.  Cameron and Doug were both impressed with how much better the room looked and I was pleased with how well organized it was.  It was a lot more functional and the best part was that we never lost our internet when I rearranged the computer, modem and router.

No comments:

Post a Comment