Tuesday, March 9, 2021

The Death of Stalin

 Brett rented The Death of Stalin last night and really wanted me to watch it.  I was a little hesitant as the last movie he recommended was The Lighthouse and it was just awful.  I didn't have a lot going on and was a little bit tired from all of the activity this past week, so I thought I'd at least give it a try.  

Brett said that it was a historical comedy, so I expected Mel Brooks.  Thankfully, the movie was nothing like it.  There was some humor, but never over the top.  Brett and Doug know a lot more about Russian history than I do, so I was more interested in that than anything else.  The film definitely filled me in on all that happened to bring Nikita Khrushchev to power and end the tyranny of Stalin's rule without a lot of violence.  I appreciated that.  Before I started watching the movie, Brett had raved about Steve Buscemi portrayal of Khrushchev and I couldn't have agreed with him more.  I called Brett today to ask him about the historical gaps that the movie didn't cover.  He was able to catch me up pretty quickly.  We also reviewed his top 100 movie list that Doug and Cal had been encouraging him to make.  At the end of the conversation I let him know how much I enjoyed The Death of Stalin.  He had finally made up for The Lighthouse recommendation to me.  Doug still wasn't quite sure about that.  

No comments:

Post a Comment