Tuesday, March 16, 2021

58 Years and Counting

 Today my parents celebrated their 58th wedding anniversary.  My Dad posted a nice sentiment on Facebook in honor of the day.  In it he stated that he wasn't sure that he could make it another fifty-eight years.  I thought that was funny as the Heinisch children have always said that they thought that my Dad would outlive us all.  

Whether they do make it another 58 years or not, it is an impressive feat to have been married almost six decades.  I know there have been many ups and downs in their lifetime together as with all marriages.  The death of my brother was obviously a tough time for our family.  It is impressive that they weathered the storm as over 2/3 of all marriages in which a child dies end in divorce.  

I wonder if in all of their fifty-eight years together that they've ever had one like this past year.  The pandemic was just at the beginning when they celebrated their 57th year together last March.  Who would have thought that a year later they would have witnessed 365 days filled with lockdowns, political strife, riots, and a deadly unknown virus?  Back then who would have thought that they would still have to wear masks in stores and social distance for an entire year.  The COVID-19 vaccine was just being talked about last spring and now they have both been vaccinated, ready for life to return to normal.  

It's definitely been a crazy, unpredictable year.  I am thankful that they got to spend two months of it in Florida and more importantly that they avoided becoming infected with the coronavirus.  It may not be the year they dreamed of last March, but I know that they are both happy to have made it through to the other side.  Hoping for a more peaceful year to come.   



No comments:

Post a Comment