Wednesday, March 10, 2021

An End to Our Wednesday Tradition

 One of the best parts about the pandemic was the change in Cameron's school schedule.  From the beginning of the school year Bethany had decided to only have on campus learning for four days a week - Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday.  Wednesday were left open for asynchronous learning.  Assignments were given, but could be completed at the students own pace at home.  Teachers were available virtually from 1-3 to anyone who needed help.  Since Cameron was always on top of his homework and rarely had any questions, Wednesdays in general had become free days for he and I.  We would fill them with tennis lessons, ordering lunch at Moe's or Panda Express, board games, and other leisurely activities.  It was a nice midweek break for both of us.

Today, however, was the last of our Wednesdays at home.  Bethany had decided to return to five day a week in person learning.  I was sad when I first read the email, but was also glad as I realized that it was one more step toward normalcy.  Today, Cam and I spent our morning much as we had for the past four months with Cameron's tennis lesson and my weekly shopping trip to Martin's and Menards.  Cameron picked his favorite Moe's Southwest Grill to order lunch. This afternoon was the perfect send off to our last free Wednesday as the weather was more than warm enough for Cameron to play golf with Grandpa Cutes at Wawasee Golf Club and for me to take a one hour walk along the lake on Eli Lilly road while he was busy.  

Life definitely has its bittersweet moments and today was one of them for me.  I have loved all of the extra time with Cameron, but I know that he is more than ready to have his pre-pandemic life back.  Thankfully, we are getting a lot closer to that.  

No comments:

Post a Comment